Sunday, January 5, 2014

What you do when Church is cancelled

Today church was cancelled.  I didn't know that they did that, but when the wind-chill factored temperature outside is below -35 fahrenheit, I guess that's reason enough for anyone.  I am certainly not complaining.  So instead of church today, we had a little lesson with the boys, we colored a picture of the family, and I am getting a rare opportunity to sit down, sift through my pictures, and catch up on my version of family history: this blog.
Having Claire right in the thick of the holiday season was actually a wonderful blessing.  It forced our family to slow down and choose wisely how we spent our time and energy, focusing on what we most wanted to do.


Mckay and Logan built a snowman during the first "real" snow of the season (back when the temperature was about 20 degrees, not -20.)  Apparently, they thought the going outside in the snow was something you only did once, because although they absolutely loved doing it, they haven't wanted to go back out ever since!

Our friends the Taylors invited us to Thanksgiving with them and a few other friends who were home for the holiday.  I am grateful for good friends.  I think I would have struggled being away from family so much this holiday season, were it not for the kindness love we were shown by our friends, our ward family, and our neighbors.  We are truly blessed.

One of my favorite Christmas discoveries was visiting Santa's village in the Macy's in downtown Minneapolis.  It was basically a glorified line to see Santa Clause, but I actually liked looking at Santa's workshop, Mrs. Claus' kitchen, etc. more than I thought, and have no regrets going, even though we never actually made it to Santa himself.  This is a tradition we will definitely keep.


When we finally got a chance to visit Santa (at the Home Depot in Plymouth, of all places!), Mckay turned shy and silent, two states of being I've rarely seen him in.  He wouldn't look at St. Nick, but did allow me to sit with him and take one picture for posterity.


The biggest hit of Home Depot was getting a chance to ride in Santa's sleigh and pet an actual reindeer.


Christmas morning aftermath.  The boys are old enough to get it, which makes it so much fun.


We celebrated Logan's 2-year-old birthday, and this year I actually remembered to get a picture of the event!  Contrary to what this picture may suggest, Logan did get to blow out his own candles, even though Mckay was very happy to help him.  We love our sweet little 2-year-old.

Claire continues to grow faster than what I would like.  She is so sweet and a very easy baby, perfect for baby #3, I always think.  She smiles at anyone who talks to her now, and loves to look at the lights. She is happiest when she is being held, and gives lots of good snuggles.  We love her!

No comments: