Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gone, Baby, Gone!

I feel a little uncomfortable in writing this post, but I promised myself way back on December 29, 2011, that I would.  So those of you who read my blog, please don't think I am posting this to brag or to show off.  The reason I am posting this is because this blog is my journal and I want to remember what I have learned the past 10 1/2 months.  And if you happen to get something out of this as well, great!  I hope you do.  So here it goes.

I have finally lost all of my baby weight!  Hooray!

After 10 1/2 months of hard work, I am happy to say that I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  I know that no two people and no two pregnancies are alike, but I learned a lot on this journey, and I want to remember what I've learned. So I've come up with my 6 rules of post-partum weight loss.

Rule # 1:  Everybody's different
If you are one of those lucky people who lose all your baby weight in 2 weeks, I am happy for you.  I really am!  I am also really jealous of you:)  Both with Mckay and Logan it took me at least 9 months to lose the baby weight.  I know that for some people it takes less time, others it takes more.  You will learn what your body is going to do, and when you do, please be okay with it.  Being unhappy with your genetics doesn't help you lose weight:)

Rule # 2:  Factor in Hormones
When I was on my mission I lost 30 lbs. through healthy eating and exercising. I lost a steady 1-2 lbs a week.  For me, losing baby weight was nothing like that.  Here's a few samples of what my weight loss was like:
Month Three:
Week 1:  1 lbs lost;  Week 2: 0 lbs lost; Week 3: 4 lbs lost; Week 4: 0 lbs lost
Your body was in major baby-growing mode, and the post-partum time is a time of great hormonal adjustment.  It affects your weight loss as well as your mood:)  So don't get discouraged if you go a couple of weeks without losing weight.  Give your body's hormones to adjust, and the weight will come off.

Rule # 3: Be the Tortoise, Not the Hare
By the time I had Logan I was so ready to get my regular body back. I remember when they gave me the after-labor meal, I skipped the dessert and buttered roll.  I followed a very strict meal plan (I did not cheat . . . not once!) and as soon as I was 6 weeks post partum I began exercising.  I was going to lose my baby weight so fast!  And after two months of this rigorous health plan, I had not seen much weight-loss success.  In fact, the only thing I was in danger of losing was my milk.  I was not quite ready to stop nursing Logan, so I opted for a healthy, though much less strict and well-rounded, eating style.  I even ate dessert every day.  And guess what?  My weight continued to come off at the same slow but steady speed it had been when I was killing myself slowly with celery-and-spinach-only meals. So my advice is this: eat healthy but give yourself some wiggle room so that you don't feel deprived.  You're in this for the long haul!

Rule # 4: You're just going to have to exercise
I know there are exceptions to this rule, but they are very, very, very, very (get the point?) rare.  We all know someone who is like this, but chances are, we know plenty of other people who are not.  And even if you are one of the blessedly slender ones, you should exercise too!  We all need the health benefits of exercise.  Is it hard to exercise everyday, especially with a little baby and possibly other kids?  Yes!  Very hard!  But you can do hard things and this is definitely one you should make a priority. Not only are you taking good care of yourself, you are setting a good example for your kid(s).  

Rule # 5:  The 80/20 Rule
I touched on this before, but it was important enough for me that I give it some more emphasis.  Like I said in Rule # 3, you are in this for the long haul. Healthy eating is a lifestyle, but nobody lives a lifestyle where they feel deprived for very long.  I love sugar and have never been successful in weight loss when I cut it out.  I just feel deprived.  For others, it's that yummy bread or the red meat, etc.  The point is, if 80% of what you eat is very healthy, then 20% of what you eat can be more indulgent.  Does that mean you can get the hamburger and the fries and the shake?  No.  It means you choose the one you want the most, and then order a salad to go with it.  Another helpful tip is to find healthy food you love.  I hate fish, but I love eggs so that's my lean meat of choice.  I really enjoy old-fashioned oatmeal, but am not so fond of rice cakes or brown rice.  So find what healthy foods you actually like and stick with them.  Then you never feel like you're eating "healthy".  You feel like you're eating "yummy".

Rule # 6:  Keep it up
You are going to have bad days and weeks where you don't do any of the above.  It's just part of life.  But don't get discouraged and think that because you had a bad week means you should give up.  Just keep trying!  Eventually good habits form and you achieve goals:)

Well, there you have it.  My six rules.  Are they for everyone?  No.  Are there lots of people who are exceptions to these rules?  Absolutely!  Remember, I wrote this mostly for me so that I can go back and read this later when I need to remind myself of what I learned and to pscyh myself up for doing it again. I hope it helps anyone else out there who may need to hear this as well, but if it doesn't, find what works for you:)

2 comments:

Katelyn Anderson said...

Good for you!! Thanks for all the advice...I'm definitely still trying to lose Raleigh's baby weight!

May Bo said...

Love it! I feel the same way. It took me 10 months too. It was work and not so much passive work but consistent work... at least for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!