Thursday, September 22, 2011

Septemberfest!

September is one of my most favorite months.  I love when the lethargy of the hot summer days give way to the crispness of fall.  I love the increase of energy that manifests itself in back-to-school mania and football, and decorating my place with things of autumn.  This September has been an especially fun one for me.  That has, in part, to do with a little toddler that needs to get out and get moving quite a bit.  Thank you Mckay for helping Mom get off the couch and onto fun things!

 Firstly, September means football.  For those of you who may not be a huge fan of this photo, just know that we watch and support both the U of U and BYU.  This is just the best picture:)  Mckay is young, but he already has a little bit of football mania.  He will scream "Go! Go! Go!" to anything moving on the field.  I am sure that his enthusiasm will become more fine-tuned with the years, but it is very cute.
 I like September because some of the prettiest hikes can be found this time of year, both temperature-wise and visually.  Here is a trail we found in Kamas.  The leaves have not yet changed, but give it a few more weeks and we will definitely see some color creep in.
 This September I started a new tradition.  My cousin-in-law Lindsey hosted the fabulous "Food Feud Competition" ( I think I spelled that wrong), a food competition for amateurs cooks/chefs/etc. I entered the "dessert" category with my tried and true cream cheese cupcakes.  Even they helped me celebrate fall-time and September with their autumn colors.  Here I am feeling very accomplished and sophisticated because my cupcakes are in a cool display.  It was a lot of fun!

 Living in the University Village has its perks, one of them being only 3 minutes from the Hogle Zoo.  Mckay and I have made the journey to the zoo several times, and each time is so fun.  Here we are with the tigers. . .
 . . . and the elephants.  Not the greatest picture of the elephant, I realize, but just check out that cheesy smile.  I couldn't resist.  I like how Mckay's face has a milk mustache, that is very true to life.
One of Mckay's favorite zoo attractions is the wooden horses.  He would not let me get him off for a good ten minutes, so I thought I would kill some time with a little photo shoot.

September, you have been fun.  I am sad that you are almost over.  The only thing that makes this inevitable fact bearable is that after you comes October (and Halloween!), November (Thanksgiving!), December (Christmas), and Baby # 2!

2 comments:

Sara said...

I love September!! Great post I was smiling the whole time I read it. :)

Wanderingfamilies said...

We will call next time we go to the zoo...w go often!