Friday, November 7, 2014

August: Minnesota's showcase month

I was always disposed to love the month of August.  My birthday is in August, I usually vacation sometime in that month, and it's still summer.  That being said, I didn't know how great August could be until I moved to Minnesota.
Where August can a kind of hot, sticky month in many places, here in Minnesota it is GORGEOUS.  I'm talking 80-degree-sunny-blue-skies weather.  There are parks open, beaches open, playgrounds to be used, picnics to be had, trails to traverse, chicken to be barbecued, homemade ice-cream to be made and eaten with friends.  That's August.


This August I discovered Theo-Wirth Beach.  It's such a great little beach, I think we went once or twice a week throughout the entire month.  We often went with friends, which made a good time even better.  Here is Claire with two of her little buddies, Olivia and Chloe.  Such styling young ladies!


One Saturday in August, we went to Stillwater as a family.  For those of you unfamiliar with the area, it's a little tourist town on the edges of a river (I should know which river, but I don't).  There are steamboats that provide river cruises, fun bike paths, a cute shopping district, really neat restaurants and antique stores, etc.  It's kind of a blend of Park City, UT, and Hannibal, Missouri.  Anyway, it's home to lots of fun things, including a playground that we had to check out.  Logan discovered these nets, and as you can see, he thoroughly enjoyed himself.  We ended the day walking by the river and eating the most enormous ice cream cones I've ever had.  


The Minnesota Zoo was a favorite destination this month.  Normally I avoid places like this during the height of the busy season, but this zoo is so large that we were able to see what we wanted without feeling over-crowded.  This ladybug is at the entrance to the zoo, and the boys have to sit on it every time we go in.


We were lucky enough to have our awesome Aunt Marissa come and visit us in August!  It was so much fun having her all to ourselves this weekend.  We started the week off right by picking her up from the airport, then swinging on by to Mall of America where we went through the Aquarium, did some of the rides in the Nickelodeon theme park, and did a little shopping.  I love this picture, because both Marissa and I are posing, and Mckay and Logan are totally too cool to pose with us.


We took Marissa to Elm Creek Reserve, home to the coolest park I have ever seen.  As you can see, the equipment here is fun for young and old.  Mckay was thrilled to have a climbing buddy!


Theo Wirth beach.  While the beach is always fun, having an extra pair of hands for three little kids made it especially fun for me!


One of our last outings with Marissa was to the mighty Mississippi.  Here's a good shot of what the Mississippi looks like as it goes through downtown Minneapolis.


One Saturday afternoon our good friends invited us to go boating with them on Medicine Lake.  Chase had fun on the water-ski, and I was even brave enough to attempt wake-boarding (and was semi-successful, which is huge for me!)  This was Mckay's first time ever going on the tube.  I was amazed, first of all, that he even went on the tube, and was so happy that he had a great time.  It's moments like these that I realize my little Mckay isn't so little anymore.


The last weekend in August we went to the Minnesota State Fair.  I didn't know this before I moved here, but the State Fair is a big deal here.  I guess it's like the #1 State Fair in the nation.  My expectations were pretty high, and it did not disappoint.  We got there super early in the morning and were able to do all the fun kid things without the big crowds.  I think our favorite activity was the Little Farm Hands, where the kids got to do real farm things, like milk a cow, feed chickens, plant a garden, etc.


Logan was too scared to go on the "boats" at the fair, but Mckay was willing to help us use the tickets we bought;)


I love this little girl. She's such a great sport, even when Mom makes her pose in these silly pictures.


I think Chase's favorite part of going to the State Fair was getting a gyro.  We didn't think we could say we got the whole State Fair experience without getting some type of yummy food, right?

This month was such a great bookend to our summer, we had a blast.

No comments: