Thursday, March 17, 2011

And the awards go to . . .

The other night Chase and I were winding down for the night as we watched a little TV.  We flipped the channel to TNT, and there we watched a portion of "Jurassic Park."  It's been years since I've watched that show, and I'd forgotten how much I love love love it.  It started me thinking, "What other shows have I not seen in awhile that are good enough that I want to root them out and find them?"  One thing led to another, and I have  a list of my top favorite films in recent history:
(Be warned: My films usually fall on the quirky side of things, so this list may not be for everyone, but it is for me!)

8. Lord of the Rings Trilogy:  This film blew my mind.  My favorite thing about it?  First,  gorgeous cinematography.  Second, the stuff they have to deal with is so hard, that it makes me feel like I can't complain about anything.  Their noble-ness rubs off.

7. Rudy.  I know that guys have been known to cry in this movie, but I love it too!  The poor guy tries so hard!

6. Ever After.  There are Drew Barrymore-haters out there who may disagree, but I liked this show a lot.  The music is pretty, and the setting is interesting.  Plus, the evil stepmother and stepsister are so unlikeable, that it makes me happy when they have to wash laundry forever (I am now exposing a slightly vicious streak . . .)  But seriously, when was the last time you watched a chick flick not produced by A&E or BBC that didn't have any sexual content?  They are few and far between, and therefore must be treasured.

5.  Muppet Treasure Island.  This show is plain funny and full of one-liners.  You are never too old for the muppets:)

4. Princess Bride.  Here is a show that has it all!  As the grandpa says, there's adventure, danger, sword fighting, giants, poison, six-fingered villains, revenge, R.O.U.S.'s, and, of course, true love.  The great compromise for chic/flick loving girls and action loving boys.  Besides, where else could you hear a line like this:  "Fezzick, are there rocks ahead?"  "If there are, we'll all be dead!"

3.  Clue.  I must bust Clue out about 4 times a year.  This movie is clever, surprising, and funny.  And, as if one good ending weren't enough, they give you three!  Come on, people!

2.  Beauty and the Beast.  I don't know what it says about me, that I have so many kid movies in this grouping, but this show is great!  I could go on and on about why I like this cartoon, but it's too hard to say a little, and too easy to say too much.

1.  Jurassic Park.  I want you to close your eyes and remember the part where the kids are in the jeep with the scummy lawyer, and suddenly they hear an impact tremor.  The water in the glass shakes as the tremors get stronger.  Silence. The goat is missing, and suddenly, you see a giant clawed arm rip down the metal wires.  Did you get chills?  Yeah, this movie is great.

Well, folks, that's my list.  I am sad to say that I only own 2 of these 8 movies, but after writing this list, I will not be surprised if a few more of them don't find their way to my DVD shelf.

3 comments:

Sami and Mark said...

nice list! though i personally don't feel the same about jurassic park...i LOATHE dinosaurs and they give me nightmares!! the only part of jurassic park i've ever seen is the end with the raptors and that was enough for me :)

hope you guys are doing well :)

Anonymous said...

Funny! I like your list. We share many of the same tastes. I guess that's part of what bonded us as friends(:

Holly and Dave said...

So funny! I haven't seen Jurassic park forever! There's nothing like rewatching some of the oldies but goodies.